Monday, April 21, 2008

The Power of Suggestion

I find it quite sad how little progress humanity has made in terms of perpetuating the same old problems. Ignorance, prejudice, violence and a host of other unnecessary and suggestive behaviors abound. Why? Okay... maybe that question is a bit daunting. Here's one maybe we can tackle. Why do people, in particular some parents, perpetuate negativity. Again, I don't mean the blatant kind that the majority of us find repugnant. I mean the subtle negativity that comes with a peck on the cheek and a pat on the head.

Years ago, I dropped my young daughter off at day care. The day promised rain and had begun to cloud over. I kissed my daughter good-bye at the door of the day care and wished her a great day. As I was leaving another mother, who was mirroring the same routine, kissed her daughter on the cheek and looked skyward with a scowl. She then proceeded to tell her daughter what a gloomy day it was and how miserable it was going to be. I cringed at the thought of her suggestion to her 4 or 5 year old daughter that the day was predestined to be horrible. This type of negativity may appear harmless or said in passing with no intent of malice. However, this is the subtle type of negativity that leaves its indelible mark on impressionable minds. What purpose does it serve to suggest negativity... particularly to a child?

Think about all of the opinions and feelings you have about the world around you. What in your opinions and views wasn't formed at the suggestion of someone else? I hate broccoli! Those people aren't like us! He has a problem sitting still. If you're lucky, you've had a predominance of positive statements made by the people who have had a tremendous part in shaping who you are. Wow! You did great! You're so beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful day. However, keep in mind... those are suggestive opinions too. Just think, your perception of beauty was most likely shaped by other people's opinion of what is beautiful. The power of suggestion is strong and needs to be recognized for what it is. Just someone else's opinion. For what it's worth, I like rainy days!

No comments: